Sunday 10 March 2013

Kelly Rowland Reveals How She Struggled Accepting Her Dark Skin.

Kelly Rowland.

Kelly Rowland is no doubt one of the best looking women in the industry, but she wasn’t this comfortable in her skin the way she is now. She recently revealed that she used to feel she was unattractive because of her dark skin.

In an interview, she revealed that she started to avoid the sun in order to stop her skin from getting darker. More after the cut.
“You know what, I had great women in my life to help me overcome that. I remember I went through a period where I didn’t embrace my chocolatiness,” she shared. “I didn’t embrace my chocolate lifestyle. Just being a chocolate, lovely, brown-skin girl and being proud of that.” "And i remember Tina Knowles, Bey's mum, and I being out in the sun and I was trying to shield myself from the sun and she said ‘Are you crazy?’ She said you are absolutely gorgeous and she told me how beautiful I was and how rare chocolate is and how gorgeous the skin is … and all of this stuff. I was like ‘Yeah,’ and a light went off,” said Rowland.


"So in between her and my mother and then me sitting out in the sun a little bit more to be a little more chocolate, you just embrace it,” she continued. “Embrace everything you are as a woman. Even  your flaws too. And the things that you want to fix, you make them better.”
It’s a bold thing to do for touching the issue of color in the black community; there is so much pressure in the industry to have a lighter skin.

4 comments:

  1. My dear rowland I love ur skin is so nice I wish dis was my skin color

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of Kelly, she has never ever touched her skin. She's black and proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beyonce didn't allow this girl shine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come to nollywood, they are all bleaching. Beyonce ur friend is also bleaching. So proud of Kelly. She's smart and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Drop a Comment